Five for Friday - April 21

The week after Spring Break is always tough. Hard to get back into the routine after an amazing week off! But, we did it and I'm back linking up with Kacey over at Doodle Bugs Teaching for Five for Friday. Here's what we were up to this week....



My school does a large Earth Day celebration every year! It's a lot of fun and the kids get to go to different rooms and learn about all kinds of things surrounding the topic of Earth Day!  I decided this year to also have my students do some writing about Earth Day and ways they can help make the Earth a better place.  Their answers were pretty cute! I especially like the above one - "if you ride in a car... you can pollute the air...and it's your fault." Too funny!  This writing prompt and five more can be found in my TPT Store - Earth Day Writing Prompts.


We learned all about coordinate grids in math this week. We started by watching a Brainpop video and then created the above anchor chart. To practice plotting points, the kids played this fun game called Gridlock from MathWire - it can be found here...


We finally finished our Map PBL this week. The final part of the project had students creating their island using some of the landforms we discussed. They also buried treasure on it and had to write directions for how to find it. Their maps turned out amazing!!! 

Where have I been? I've seen many people posting and writing about Epic books, but I never looked into it. I remembered yesterday trying to find something for my Earth Day class and it is wonderful! It's full of so much information and fun books - I can't wait to dive into it more!
On Monday, I presented to some of the teachers at my school about Differentiation in Writing Workshop. It went well and we had some great discussions.  Stay tuned because I'll be doing a blog post soon on some of the ideas for differentiation in writing!

Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

  1. I remember making maps like this on cardboard oh so many years ago, and I loved it as a kid. Funny, old things still work! See you around. Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do! The kids love this project every year!

    Jordan
    Team J's Second Grade Fun

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that your school goes all out for Earth Day! Such an important day, and it's nice to see your school placing such a huge emphasis on it.

    Andrew
    www.kindergartenexplorer.com

    ReplyDelete